Monday, September 2, 2019

Chris Doyle: Hybridity

Image result for chris doyle hybridity
His Style:
Chris Doyle has a very interesting style of art. He combines 2D and 3D stills and video then projects them into real life. This approach is very different than many of the mainstream animation media we see out in the world, all due to how he uses hybridity. This adds an allure to his art unlike others. His art is also very consistent. He knows what he likes to do. Either he is animating something about nature and man, or he uses organic shapes and patterns to leave the emotion's evoked by his art up to the viewer. He very much likes to use bright and vibrant colors that catch the eye. Many of his art pieces, especially the animations, use vibrant reds, bright greens, and deep blues. The use of such lively colors allows the eye to travel from point to point without needing directed. You are left on your own to decide what to look at. He also likes to add black as a bold color that still somehow stands out against the bright colors. It is a sort of silhouette look, like an old Chinese painting and the thin lines in his 2D art also resemble old Japanese anime from the 80s and 90s. His art is also ever changing. The video will start out as something and be completely different in the end. It shows a course of time and how the world he is depicting is changing. Even with his more organic ideas, in the end the shapes or patterns they were in the beginning will be a whole new ones by the end of his creation. His art is easy to enjoy and understand because you constantly see something new that invokes your interest.

Analyzing:
Chris Doyle's short film "Waste Generation" shows the relationship between man and nature. It starts out with showing a junk yard, but over time it changes. Nature then starts growing and it turns into a lush habitat. It uses juxtaposition to compare the two stages the world was in. There is the age of waste and the age of nature. Especially when showing the growing age of nature he decides to use 3D art as well as 2D this form of art is common in his work and is a form of hybridity. I enjoy his original techniques and it stimulates the viewer differently than if it were just 2D or just 3D the whole way through. He also uses patterns and organic shapes to create the sense of the world changing. They slowly change as you look at them and add a hallucinogenic effect that seems to warp your sense of reality, which if fitting to the story his film portrays. Overall, it was quite interesting and new. I liked the feeling of watching something I've never really seen before.

My Application:
Over the summer I actually had thought about using hybridity myself. I planned to make a film combining both real footage and 3D animation. So, I find it quite convenient we are studying this now. That is why I chose Chris Doyle. His art was the closest to something I would want to make. Art is a platform where nothing is wrong and you can do anything and that is why hybridity is important. Many people stick to the cookie-cutter one genre and one art form, but for me I just don't know if that's quite what I want. I've always just enjoyed too many things. I love all forms of art; I love to
draw, write, act, paint, animate, and make films. So, why not put them all together. Chris Doyle challenges the norm and I'd like to try so to. Maybe I can do something great, or maybe I will fail, but either way I will learn from what I have done. Studying people who have done things like this before me also inspires me and let's me know that I'm not alone in feeling that I don't want to stick to one genre or art form. Everyone starts out somewhere and needs to test the waters to see what they enjoy, so I plan to use hybridity and everything I've discovered while researching Chris Doyle to start my art making.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Highschool Portfolio